6 months before today I released and open sourced YCanvas library. Since it powers some of my projects nicely (onBoard, Train Lord), some of you requested me to create map implementation as well as Feathers UI component so you can easily integrate it into your own projects. I have decided to take this challenge and wrapped the original library by some more specific functionality. It took me some time, but finally, the extended library is out and ready to be used in any flash, AIR or mobile project.
Sources of the new library called YCanvasMaps is available from repository. It extends the original lib and introduces some tools for easier integration:
- Component implementation that can be added into Feathers scene.
- Advanced mouse and touch transformation managers for panning and zooming the map with gestures.
- Layer for adding markers over the map.
- Stroke implementation and stroke layer for adding strokes.
- Partition (map tile) implementation with smooth revealing.
There are two application projects available – web and mobile. The web version is also available online on ycanvas.yoz.sk/maps. The mobile version can me compiled from sources and deployed to Android or iOS device. Both reuse the same sources and explores the possibilities with YCanvas maps:
- Feathers components to controll the map.
- Demo map tile configurations using tiles from various providers like OpenStreetMap, MapQuest, ArcGIS…
- Big map with strokes and markers implementation.
- Overlay map that can load additional tiles over the main map.
- Small map that keeps synchronized with the main one.
- Example of long routes rendered as strokes (Rome to Paris…)
Watch YCanvasMap running on Android (Samsung Note 10.1):
Both, the web and the mobile version runs smooth at 60 fps when compiled for release. I tried to write documentation (asdoc) right into the code so it may help you with your implementation, in case it does not feel free to contact me.