Finally I managed to switch from Flex Builder 3 to Flash Builder. Altought, most of the workspaces, projects and casual things were running after switch just fine, there were some issues that made me mad. Some of them I was able to fix, some keep fuss me. I decided to write this post so it may help someone with dealing the same issues…
Additional Source Folders
I used to keep all the .swc libraries together with .as classes in one folder structure. While in old Flex Builder, it was as simple as adding source folder (Project / Properties / … Build Path / Source Path / Add Folder) to make all common libraries work, in Flash Builder, problems occured – after adding additional source folder, the IDE stoped code completion etc. It were not worth those loosed hair when it suddenly appeared that problem is in the structure of the folder, especialy mixed .swc and .as files. From now on, folder is separated into /src (all .as files) and /swc (all .swc files) folders. Credentials go to my friend David Engelmaier, who helped me out of the misery.
I did not solved this issue yet. I really would like to have some code highlighting editor in Flash Builder.
In order to create a new file (.as class) I used to right-click on folder / new / ActionScript Class. It was simple and fast. Now in Flash Builder, there is no quick option to do that. You have to create “Other …” and select desired option in opened dialog.
After installing, there were no sites defined to check the most common software installation/updates for eclipse (subclipse etc.), I guess one have to add those himself. Here is a list of sites I use:
Europa Discovery Site : http://download.eclipse.org/releases/europa PBDT : http://pbdt.joa-ebert.com/update Subclipse : http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x
Manage links in Window / Preferences / Install/Update / Available Software Sites
Resource ‘/ProjectXY/…/SomeClass.as’ does not exist
Flash Builder keeps telling me that my file does not exist although it does exist in Project Explorer. When I move this file into another folder, it opens, move back to original place, not exist again … Flash Builder restart required
F5 does not refresh Project Explorer
F5 does not work at all, I can not refresh assets folder, I have to close and reopen the project … Flash Builder restart required
I tried to install Aptana:
- Plugging Aptana into an existing Eclipse configuration
- Install New Software / Add: http://update.aptana.com/install/studio
- Install Aptana – Fail
- noticed new available software sites added but disabled, enable all
- everything fails to install but Aptana Studio Pro, ok lets try this one
- done, need restart flash builder? ok…
- starting flash builder: “An error has occured. See the log file C:/…./ANYPROJECT/.metadata/.log”
- again and again, all workspaces 🙁 I am doomed
- http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405285.html suggested to remove “\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources”
- restarting… no success
- removing everything from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4\plugins with name Aptana
- restarting… success!!! but wait! where are all the projects from my workspace? And why is everything changed? All the icons, all the tabs and views, what happend?
It seems that by removing org.eclipse.core.resources all the old Flex Builder things get removed, new (I guess) Flash Builder appearance got on scene, new Package Explorer with working quick options for .as, .css everything wow!!! My final suggestion for switching from Flex Builder to Flash Builder is: use new workspaces, new projects, do not import the old ones!